A growing majority of Americans appear unconvinced that another military conflict in the Middle East is the right path forward, according to a new New York Times/Siena poll released Monday, underscoring the political risks facing President Donald Trump as tensions with Iran continue to escalate.
The survey found that 64 percent of respondents believe Trump made the wrong decision in launching a military offensive against Iran, while only 30 percent said they supported the move. The numbers reveal a country weary of prolonged foreign conflicts, even as concerns about Iran’s nuclear ambitions remain high across the political spectrum.
Democrats were nearly united in opposition to the president’s decision, with 93 percent saying the war was the wrong choice and just 5 percent backing the administration’s actions. Republicans largely stood behind Trump, with 70 percent approving of the decision and 22 percent opposed.
Perhaps most striking for the White House, however, was the response from independents. According to the poll, 73 percent of independent voters said the military action was the wrong move, while only 21 percent supported it. The figures suggest broad skepticism among voters outside the Republican base, particularly as Americans continue to grapple with economic concerns at home.
The poll also showed widespread opposition to the war overall. Sixty-four percent of respondents said they disapprove of the conflict, compared to 31 percent who approve. More than half of those surveyed — 55 percent — said they do not believe the war will ultimately be worth the cost. Only 21 percent said the conflict would justify the sacrifices involved, while 23 percent remained uncertain.
Americans also appear doubtful about whether military force will achieve the administration’s stated objective of dismantling Iran’s nuclear program. While 40 percent said they believe the U.S. will succeed, half of respondents said they do not think the Trump administration will be able to eliminate Iran’s nuclear capabilities.
The public’s reluctance to continue the conflict was also evident when respondents were asked whether military operations should resume. A majority, 52 percent, said they do not want operations against Iran to restart. Just 37 percent favored renewed military action, while 11 percent either said they did not know or declined to answer.
The political fallout may already be affecting the president. The poll recorded Trump’s second-term approval rating at 37 percent, the lowest measured during his current term. Fifty-nine percent of respondents said they disapprove of his job performance overall. By comparison, Times/Siena polling in January showed Trump at 40 percent approval and 57 percent disapproval.
The survey comes as negotiations between the United States and Iran toward a peace agreement appear to have stalled. Trump warned on Sunday that the “clock is ticking” after previously rejecting a peace proposal from the Iranian regime.
Meanwhile, concern is growing in Congress as some Republicans begin questioning the administration’s strategy. Lawmakers critical of the war have pointed to the absence of a clearly defined long-term plan, along with rising gas prices tied to Iran’s closure of the Strait of Hormuz. Democrats are also hoping to gain enough Republican support to pass a resolution under the 1973 War Powers Act aimed at ending the conflict after several previous failed attempts.
The New York Times/Siena poll was conducted from May 11 through May 15 among 1,507 respondents and carries a margin of error of 2.8 percentage points.
[READ MORE: Trump Celebrates Cassidy’s Defeat, Turns Fire Toward Massie]
