DeSantis Calls on Florida University System to Begin Investigation of Ben Sasse

1 min read
[Photo Credit: By Matt Johnson from Omaha, Nebraska, United States - IMG_1414, CC BY 2.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=115129192]

Following a student newspaper’s report on the subject, Florida Governor Ron DeSantis (R) is now reportedly advocating for the university system in his state to investigate the expenses of former University of Florida (UF) President Ben Sasse.

“We take the stewardship of state funds very seriously and have already been in discussions with leadership at the university and with the Board of Governors to look into the matter,” DeSantis stated in a newly emailed statement.

The Independent Florida Alligator, a student newspaper at the University of Florida, reported earlier this week that Sasse, a former Republican U.S. senator from Nebraska, increased expenditures in his office by over threefold during his tenure as president of the institution.

The majority of the expenditure increase, as per the Alligator, was attributed to lucrative positions for former Senate staff and Republican officials, as well as contracts with influential consulting firms.

Sasse announced last month that he intended to relinquish his position as the school’s president by the end of July due to a health issue in his family.

[READ MORE:Polling Influencer Warns Dems That Trump Can Still Win]